Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Home For Lydia. One Star.

     Today I found this book in my mailbox, sent as a surprise from the publisher whom I review for. I am half-way though "The Cross in the Shadow of the Crescent" (excellent book on Islam) from them, and never expected this surprise book. A Home for Lydia.


     I have always been interested in the true stories of Amish people, and their simple lives, ever since I read "The Simple People," a large, hard bound book from my Great Grandmother full of pictures of Amish homes and people at work in fields and in the kitchen. 

     I have long wondered and received no solid answer yet as to whether the Amish are a cult or not. I believe from what I have read that the Amish are a cult, follow a false religion. 
The Amish speak of God, about trusting him and accepting his will. They read Scripture and study it, but Mormons also speak of God and Scripture, as do Witnesses, and they are cults.  
   More study on this will be necessary for me. 

    Some of the descriptions of places in this book were lovely... Pebble Creek with the white herons who stalk its banks and the starry skies over Wisconsin. 

     Lydia longs to be married and have a home and babies of her own. 

     As one of my unmarried friends reminded me yesterday, this is a good desire *when understood rightly*.  When we understand it wrongly is when we begin to think a man is the fulfillment of Our Dreams, and exists to be that. Talk about being hit over the head when I found out that a man is created to do God's Work and a wife to help him fulfill God's Dominion Mandate and Great Commission! And yes, this is romantic. As R. C. Sproul Jr says, nothing is more romantic than a man sharing his vision with his wife. Now, back to the review. 
     Lydia is beginning to wonder if this dream will ever come true, and she spends her days as care taker of tourist cabins by Pebble Creek. Her kind elderly boss dies and Lydia is left without an employer, continuing to care for the cabins that tourists never fill.

     Along comes young Amish man, Aaron Troyer, who is here to find out what these cabins his uncle owned looked like. 

     The problem with this book was romance. 

     When Lydia first sees him he is angry, the night he arrives, angry at the state of the falling down cabins. The next morning Lydia arrives for work and sees him leaving the cabin he slept in, and her heart gives a tripping beat. 
He meanwhile is thinking that she is a woman, not a girl, because she has "a woman's body." 

    This attraction grows, and is very troubling to me.  Love Biblically is not pounding hearts and faint blushes creeping up your neck as you see the other's gaze upon you. 

    They argue about the state of the bushes around the cabins, Lydia wants them to stay because birds nest in them, Aaron wants them trimmed. These arguments might be considered a sign of "spunky" people, but in marriage being combative will cause heartache. 

    They grow increasing conscious of each other's every physical movement throughout the book, making me very uncomfortable,  and I was saddened by this. I wish Lydia and Aaron had treated one another as Brother and Sister in all Purity, working and waiting and *possibly*  keeping an eye on the other with thoughts of marriage. 

    That would have made this story so much more glorious, to read of a courting couple with no "tension" between them, no kisses, no hearts pumping beyond their normal rate. 

    {The scene between the married couple, when he promises to drink extra coffee that night was extremely out of place. I could not even read some of this book aloud to my blushing family.} 

    I wish this book had none of the romance in it! Novels with romance rarely help foster thoughts 
of purity. Different things bother different people, and I stay away from what I know will bother me. All things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial.  

I would LOVE to read a book about an Amish maid with all the homey details of her country life and a story of her conversion to Christ, possibly amidst persecution from her family.  

I received this book as a surprise from Harvest House Publishing. Stay Tuned, readers. I hope to review their books "Men Counseling Men" "Mom's Raising Sons to be Men" and "A Look at Life From a Deer-Stand" soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment