Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven.

   A Time for every Purpose Under Heaven.
   One woman's trip to Africa: My Story.
    by Chris Loehmer Kincaid.

   This is the story of Chris Kincaid's trip to Africa, as a missionary. She encounters poverty- but joy and gratitude springs from the hearts of the people.

She encounters disease: men who rape and spread AIDS to their victims. And yet she meets lovely young girls who have hope that their lives can be different.

She encounters children in a an orphanage with a small library, children who soak up education and grab the missionaries by the hands insisting on reading to them!

All Christian books should leave us with a desire for the Gospel to go out. This one does.
I recommend this book to one with a heart for missions, and a love for Africa.


Listen to this quote from Chris about what she found in Africa. "I pulled out Val's Bible and was guided to open to Ecclesiastes 3. Every line from that chapter of the Bible reminded me of something we had witnessed so far on our trip. For every thing there is a season, A time for every purpose under Heaven.  We had witnessed birth and death, healing and killing, even sowing and the gathering of stones. We had laughed and cried, mourned and danced. And just the day before, we watched a young Kenyan harvesting crops in the garden, pulling up what had been planted months before, gathering food for himself and his family. 
Why again had I doubted myself? God sent me to Africa during this season of my life for a very good reason, for His reason. 
And in time, I would discover that reason. 
I serve an amazing God."

Yes. I received this book from Bookcrash and the author to review. Thank you! 

1 comment:

  1. I just found your review. Thank you so much for your kind words.

    I just returned from another trip to Kenya and had many of the same experiences. This time, though, I was much less sheltered; I got to really see how the people of Kenya live, and got to live just like them. Even more eye-opening than the first trip.

    I don't foresee another book coming from this trip, but I will have to see where God leads me.

    ReplyDelete