Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Icecutter's Daughter. A Novel.

The Icecutter's Daughter, Land of Shining Water Series #1 



Merrill Jean Krause is a Proverbs 31 woman, and so the best lessons learned from reading The Icecutter's Daughter will come from exploring her character.

Merrill is a model of sturdy femininity. She cares for her family's draft horses in the stable, helps with the icecutting in the cold and snow, and also keeps the home for her father and six brothers.
Merrill feared that she was not the sort of woman a man would want to marry, but she was wrong. Hers was true biblical womanhood, neither delighting in being manly nor being a caricature of china dollish-ness.
She was a resourceful girl in her homemaking, a good cook- her carrot cookies with frosting made from her Christmas orange sound delicious!-and she beautified her living space for her family by treating homemaking as an art. She used her talents at painting to bless them and then to earn income at the furniture shop.
She was a girl of strength, virtue and industry. She served her father and her neighbors and her hands were never idle.

It was good to see a family economy celebrated in The Icecutter's Daughter.
One of my favorite quotes was when Merrill says her father always loved working with all his family around him.
I also was glad to see Merrill come to trust her father in the matter of suitors, although I wished her brothers had been there to flatten Nils. Just sayin'. That is what brothers are for.

I appreciated her suitor Rurik's family as well. His older brother Aron was a source of counsel for him, as was his Uncle Carl. I wondered how a godly man would handle the accusation that could ruin his reputation. Certainly seeking wise counsel would be step one.

 I am glad that Tracie Peterson introduced us to this heroine who modeled sturdy femininity. I think a series of books about Merrill Jean might be something to consider!

I was given this book free from Bethany House to review.
The cover is beautiful, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I read The Icecutter's Daughter and Merrill's strong femininity was one of the things I really loved about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, I loved her strength and kindness!

      Delete