Sunday, May 19, 2013

Interview with Mackenzie Dare, author of Fire Storm!




Hello Readers! 
Today I am delighted to feature Mackenzie Dare in an interview! Mackenzie is the author of the riveting suspense novel Fire Storm. 
Jim, a fireman, and his wife Jess live in a small farming town, blessed and content with their new baby and their strong faith. Then things begin happening, attempts on Jessica's life, and the lives of people they love.
At first Jim dismisses it as pranks and accidents, but soon it is clear that there is a killer on the run. Jim thinks he knows who it is... but is he right? And if he is wrong...

You can read my full review of this book HERE, and I can't wait to dig deeper into the story with Mackenzie. 
So let's get started! 


1. First, how long have you loved writing? 

For as long as I can remember. I was that little kid who was always carrying around a pad of notebook paper. I was writing in a journal as soon as I learned to write, and I was one of the only kids in my class that would get excited about writing papers at school. I was always trying to learn and get better. It was my dream to someday write a book. 



2. For Fire Storm, which came to your mind first Plot or Characters? Or both at once? Which character came first? 

Both. I started out my by thinking about the plot of Jim and Jess then added the other characters and their plots. Some of both didn’t actually come about till I was already into the story.


3. Did any characters that you didn't expect come into the story? And did any characters do things that you were surprised by? Can you give us an example or two? 

Yes, all the time. Surprises are one part that made writing the story so much fun. One example would be Carlos and Melinda’s story. They weren’t even characters in the outline. Another would be Derrick’s story. I wasn’t completely aware of his secret myself till very near the page I wrote it.


4. Can you tell us if there were any scenes that were much easier or much harder to write.... any scenes that had to be rewritten over many more times than others? 

I’d say the Salvation message was the hardest to write, mainly because it carried the biggest responsibility, and also because I needed to keep it interesting without making it preachy. Mainly, I enjoyed writing every part of this story. I needed to always keep it fun and interesting so I wouldn’t lose interest.

5. I really enjoyed the camaraderie between the firemen. Those scenes made me laugh out loud! 
And I loved the rescue scenes with the paramedics and firemen. Are there paramedics or firemen in your family and friends? 

No, not really. I’ve just always been fascinated by the profession. I did quite a bit of research so I could keep them true to life.

6. One of my favorite interview questions.... Describe in five words:

Jim – Protector. Loyal. Stable. Good friend. 
Jess – Country girl. Homemaker. Loving. Sweet. 
Derrick – Mysterious. Quiet. Determined. Dark past. 


7. The theme of Fire Storm is trusting our Mighty God when we are weakest and circumstances are most frightening. I loved the way this theme was brought out through this story, and I loved the way Jim and many other characters would quote Scripture to strengthen their hearts when they were afraid. 
Would you like to give us a few verses that remind us that we can and must trust God in our trials? 

The Bible is so full of verses on trusting God and His promises to take care of us, I don’t think my knowledge of them can even scratch the surface, but here are some that have meant a great deal to me in my life.
Psalms 56:3 - What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
Psalms 56:11 - In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Psalms 27:1 - The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
1 Peter 5:7 - Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Isaiah 42:16 - And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Psalms 4:8 - I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 - And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Psalms 18


8. Now did I read it right when you said you are working on a sequel? :-) Can you tell us a little about your current writing projects? 

Yes, I am working on a sequel, and I’m having quite a bit of fun with it. 

Danger lurks in the shadows one night as the firefighters leave their shift. While walking home, one hears gunshots and instinctively responds. The victim, killed for an death-stained object within his possession, passes the torch to the fireman before drawing his final breath. Instantly aware of the awesome responsibility that comes attached to the object, the fireman becomes keenly aware of two things: the fate of justice is resting within his hands, and he has just been passed the curse of death.

You’ll also find the stories behind all the characters growing deeper and more complex.
How will Jim and Jess continue in their journey of love and dependence on God? 
How will the new baby affect Wade and Mellissa’s relationship?
Will Derrick’s reunion become one he cherishes or grows to regret?
Can Dr. Fredricks keep both his home-life and work-life together without one or the other ending in tragedy? 
Will Carlos’ romance grow deeper and more sincere or will it hit a roadblock?  


Mackenzie, you are killing me with all those hints about your next book! :-) Thank you so much for being here and for this great interview! 

Please click over to Mackenzie's blog Poems of Prayer and Praise and say Hi! You can read the first chapter for free while you are there, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment