Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Jungle Fire




BREAKING NEWS: I have just been introduced to a talented suspense author and her latest novel from Moody Press: Dana Mentink and Jungle Fire!

I am so happy to have this book gracing my shelf now, and I am thrilled to have the challenge of expressing my admiration in this review. 

My review will go something like this: The setting, Guatemala, was so deftly described that I felt like I was there: in the river, in the moist hot vegetation, driving on the gravel and mud roads. 

And the characters? Well, I knew I wanted to get to know them the first time we met, 
and by the end of the book I felt like I did know them. 
Shaw Wilder: His 'voice' in Jungle Fire is authentic for a man...something I am particular about. His thoughts and words let us know what life means to him and how he thinks about things, 
and his actions tell us even more about him. 
He is tough, with a never-say-die mindset that gets him where he needs to go. 
He has a really cool backround too: explosives detection with the police here in the States,
 which gave him training and the law enforcement edge. 
Shaw is a great hero, though I doubt he would want that title, so he can share it with Axel, his dog. Axel is an explosives detection dog, and he and his master had plenty to do in Guatemala what with the land mines left after the bloody civil war. Together they are an awesome team!

Nina Truman: a fine example of sturdy femininity. A missionary nurse with a gentle touch and a brave heart, Nina has dedicated her life to serving the people of Guatemala. 
She has fears, but she knows her Heavenly Father is mighty.
Nina and Shaw were wonderful people to meet. 

And they inspired me: I read about Nina and Shaw's fortitude and determination as they escaped through the harsh terrain of Guatemala, and I hoped that I would have that strength in me. 
 I thought about how little help they received from the villagers who had been bought off by the drug cartels, and yet how willing Nina remained to reach out and tenderly touch and care for the sick and wounded she met, and I knew I wanted that too. 

As I read, I was right there in the action along with Nina and Shaw. It takes a special writer to craft good action scenes, the kind that get your adrenaline pumping and yet still make sense. These were good!  


Review in six words: Jungle Fire is a great read. 
Thank you Dana for my copy to review! 


Dana Mentink lives in California where the weather is golden and the cheese is divine. Her family includes two little girls (affectionately nicknamed Yogi and Boo Boo.) Papa Bear works for the fire department and he met Dana doing a dinner theater production of The Velveteen Rabbit. Ironically, their parts were husband and wife.
Dana is an American Christian Fiction Writers Book of the Year finalist for romantic suspense and an award winner in the Pacific Northwest Writers Literary Contest.  Her suspense novel, Betrayal in the Badlands, earned a Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Award. Besides writing, she busies herself teaching third and fourth grade. Mostly, she loves to be home with Papa Bear, Yogi, Boo Boo, a dog with social anxiety problems, a chubby box turtle and a feisty parakeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment