Wednesday, August 14, 2013

*Critical Pursuit*

Critical Pursuit


Serious. Suspenseful. And SO worth waiting for.
That's how I would describe Critical Pursuit if I only had a minute to do so. 

First, I need to get this out of my system. 
*Does happy dance all over my back yard* 
There. That's how glad I was to get my copy of Janice Cantore's new book
Thank you Tyndale Blog Network! 
I have loved Janice's writing ever set I met Nick and Carly of the (very cool) 
The three books in that series, Accused, Abducted, and Avenged all have great plots, all introduce us to wonderfully real characters, and together they form a series that every mystery lover should own. 
If you haven't read them, go make the acquaintance of Carly and Nick and follow their story through the Pacific Coast Justice series. Isn't the very name of the series intriguing?! 

 And now it's time to get your hands on Critical Pursuit. 
It's time to meet meet Officer Brinna Caruso and her canine partner Hero. 
Brinna is a woman with a consuming mission: 
to try to locate and save every missing and abducted child.  
 Brinna's friend Maggie chides her with the words "You can't save them all," and
Brinna responds "Maybe I can't save them all, but it certainly won't be for lack of trying."

And it's time to meet Brinna's newly assigned human partner, a burnt-out homicide detective who feels nothing but dead inside...dead alternating with rage at the man who shattered his life. Jack O'Reilly wants out of homicide... he can't stand seeing the bodies anymore. 
Every dead woman and child he has to look at reminds him of the wife and baby that were stolen from him by a drunken driver one year before. 
Brinna is assigned to work with Jack for two weeks while he transfers back to patrol, 
an assignment that no-one is sure he can really handle. 

One of my favorite elements of Janice's books is the amount of detailed police work. 
Her firsthand knowledge makes these books real, and reading one of her books always increases my respect for law enforcement officers. The things they have to deal with (domestic violence, car wrecks, terrible suicides) the scenes they are called to enter and the circumstances and stress they must be surrounded by are hard for me as a civilian to imagine, yet these are things they deal with often as they protect and serve their cities. 
This book will leave you praying for your police officers.

I can't tell you the secrets of the plot, which unfolds over 362 pages, 
but let me just say that it will keep you reading. 

I will reveal one exchange between Jack and Brinna: 
"I'm not a quitter," Jack said through gritted teeth. "It's just sometimes, when there's nothing to go home to, I think what is the point? We are fighting a losing battle, admit it." 

"There you lose me." (said Brinna) "Maybe we don't catch them all and maybe I can't save them all, but I owe every one of them the effort. I may not be a Christian, but I agree with your preaching partner Ben. We have to fight the good fight. If Milo had given up on me, I'd be dead in the desert. Guys like him, you, me- we owe it to the innocent to keep fighting."

 A retired Long Beach California police officer of 22 years (16 in uniform and 6 as a non-career officer), Janice Cantore worked a variety of assignments, patrol, administration, juvenile investigations and training. During the course of her career in uniform Janice found that faith was indispensable to every aspect of the job and published articles on faith at work, one for a quarterly newspaper called “Cop and Christ”, and another for the monthly magazine “Today’s Christian Woman”.
With retirement Janice began to write longer pieces and several novels were born. Janice is excited and honored to now be a part of the Tyndale Publishing House family. Accused, the first installment in her new suspense offering, The Pacific Coast Justice Series, was released February 1, 2012 and kicked off a brand new chapter in her writing career. Abducted followed in July 2012 and Avenged, the third installment in the series will be released April 1,2013. In addition to suspense and action, her books feature strong female leads. Janice writes suspense novels designed to keep you engrossed and leave you inspired.

Janice has bachelor’s degrees in Biology (University of California at Irvine) and Physical Education (California State University at Long Beach).  She also completed graduate coursework in Criminal Justice (University of Southern California) and is currently a member of American Christian Fiction Writer’s and Sisters in Crime.  She attends Trail Christian Fellowship in Eagle Point Oregon, having just moved to Southern Oregon with her three Labrador Retrievers, Jake, Maggie and Abbie. Janice’s hobbies are reading, cross-stitching, kayaking, hiking, walking the dogs and trying to stay fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment