Tuesday, August 20, 2013

*On Distant Shores*

On Distant Shores (Wings of the Nightingale, #2)


It is a wonderful sign to see that so many books are being written about World War Two. The men and women who served this country, both at home and overseas, gave up their dreams at the least and many gave their lives, yet their stories have often remained untold. 
Many times, the veteran's own family hadn't heard the stories.
That was a generation marked by quiet sacrifice. 

It is authors like Sarah Sundin who are helping us to learn our history and sparking the desire in us to hear the stories of the men and women who lived through those days. 
By creating vivid characters and doing extensive research, then marrying the plot and the people together, Sarah is giving us an engaging series of books! 

I haven't yet read book one of the Wings of the Nightingale series, With Every Letter,
but by the first chapter of On Distant Shores and I knew I wanted to read the whole series!

This series has enough character's in common among the books that it must be like a delightful reunion to read them in order, but they stand alone enough so that you could jump right in beginning with book two.

I realized as I began reviewing this book that there are a *lot* of plot surprises in here
that I don't want to give away, and so I am going to try not to!
Suffice it to say that there is much character growth in this novel...in very good ways.  Georgie and Hutch are people we would love to be friends with, likable from the first time you meet them. They, like us, still have a lot of maturing and learning to do, and few things push you further and test you more than a war zone and the struggles and losses that war brings. Watching them change and be sanctified, conformed into the image of Christ, through this 426 page novel is what makes the story so wonderful. 

And talk about giving me a new appreciation for pharmacists and flight nurses!
I don't think I've ever thought much about either's role in WWII,
and they were critical roles indeed.

So, add unique skills and valuable work that is realistically depicted to the list of things that made Georgie and Hutch come alive as great characters in a very well-written novel.

Thank you so much to much Litfuse Publicity, Revell and Sarah Sundin for my copy of On Distant Shores!
headshot sarah sundin















Although I come from a home wallpapered in books, I only briefly envisioned myself as a writer, when my sister and I co-wrote Funny Dancing Fruits and Vegetables complete with crayon illustrations.
poster: ration pointThen I discovered science. I loved learning about the intricacies of God's creation, so I studied chemistry in college, and then got my doctorate in pharmacy—not a typical career path for a writer.
In pharmacy school, I met my husband, Dave. We settled in northern California and were blessed by three bright, funny children.

Then on January 6, 2000, I woke from a dream so intriguing I had to write it down. I proceeded to write a really bad 750-page contemporary Christian romance. Burn-it-when-I-die bad. But the Lord used it to call me into writing. I joined a critique group, attended writers' conferences, and joined American Christian Fiction Writers. These all taught me about the craft of writing and the publishing industry, and introduced me to writers, editors, and agents.

I first submitted the manuscript for A Distant Melody in 2003, and over the next five years I accumulated a pile of "good" rejection letters from editors and agents. Finally in 2008, a submission at Mount Hermon Christian Writers' Conference led to the sale of the Wings of Glory series. In 2011, I received the Writer of the Year Award at the Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, and A Memory Between Us was a finalist in the Inspirational Reader’s Choice Awards.

Between writing and driving kids to tennis and karate, I work on-call as a hospital pharmacist and teach Sunday school and women's Bible studies. I enjoy speaking to school, community, women's, historical, and church groups, and belong to the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. Visit my speaking page to see a list of topics

The Lord has called you for a purpose. If He gave you a dream, persevere and never give up. If He gave you the dream to write fiction, then write! Read as much as you can. Join a critique group, attend conferences, and join American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW). Keep reading, keep writing, keep submitting, and learn from all you do. The Lord's plan may or may not include publication, but His plans are always good!



1 comment:

  1. Faith - Thank you so much for the lovely review. I'm so glad you liked Hutch & Georgie's story!

    ReplyDelete