Sunday, September 22, 2013

*Love's Awakening....*





"They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. 
Death cannot kill what never dies."
William Penn. 

 The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.   The Holy Scriptures, in the Book of Ezekiel. 

 Love's Awakening is the best possible title for this novel. 

'Cause that's what it's about. 

And that theme, the them of love awakening, never grows old. 
It is a very special thing to find a book that tells the "Tale as Old as Time" 
{{Somebody cue the Beauty and the Beast theme song!}}in a fresh way. 
This book did that for me. 

I need to warn you: my review isn't going to capture the full breadth and depth of this story.
You need to immerse yourself in it to discover that. 

Let me just tell you what stood out to me. 

We've got Ellie, whose journey home comes for the rather amusing reason that she's 
fleeing the city of Philadelphia, which is populated by a great number of the sharp-eyed Matrimonial Society, a group of ladies whose purpose can be easily imagined and proved less helpful than it might have been.  This is just the beginning of Ellie's tale, however... 
This quote is the one I want to share to intrigue you about Ellie: "Shaken, she placed a biscuit in Chloe's open, entreating hand, wanting to give her far more. Ellie bowed her head, uttering a prayer as much for herself as for Chloe and Jack, her heart unbearably sore. Lord, please fill our needy souls."


We've got Jack, who inexplicably has good honest field work in his blood and is happiest 
when he's out under the sun with a scythe in his hand harvesting the crops. 
His quote: "The river was his reward, a shimmer of fire as the sun set. 
Here the grass was knee high as it hugged the riverbank, the lushness of spring begging a second look. 
And every inch was his, as far as the eye could see."

We've got Ellie's family, all of them making choices and dreaming dreams 
and entwining their stories with hers... making this book richer in the process.

We have Jack's family, the brightest spark in it being young Chloe. 
Chloe is a character I loved instantly, perhaps because I saw myself in her. 
I was a lot like Chloe at her age.... and her fishin' spot along the river sounds delightful!
Chloe is innocent and honest enough at her age to plot a marriage for two people based on what she sees in their character instead of what she's been raised to think of their family history.  
 Chloe walks with wide open eyes, understanding that slave-born Ben should be able to be her friend and fishing partner without fear of a future of slavery, being beaten and sold off. 

Those two plots: the Ballantyne family vs. the Turlock family, 
and the realization that the "slaves" are people too and have been all along, these combine to make a meaningful, history-drenched read. 


Thank you Revell for my review copy!



*Available August 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.*


ABOUT LAURA

aside-about-color
I was born and raised in Kentucky, living first in Ashland, Mammoth Cave, Bowling Green, and then Lexington. But my heart has always been in Berea, Madison County, the place my family has resided since the 18th-century. I came to know Christ there at the age of 12, was baptized, and spent my childhood roaming through the woods and swimming in the rivers of my books.
My earliest memories are of the public library, standing in front of shelves filled with those little biographies of famous historical figures like Daniel Boone and George Washington and Sacajawea. I began scribbling stories at age 7 and thankfully never stopped. My passion then and now is history and all the wonders of past centuries.
I attended college at Denison University in Ohio and also in England, living in a manor/castle and studying the American Revolution from the British perspective. Shakespeare and 18th-century literature form the backbone of my English degree. Strangely enough, I only took one creative writing class.
It was never a desire of mine to be published. I simply love to write for the sheer joy of writing – and that was enough. But as Proverbs 16:9 says, “The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”
I hope my books bless you.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful review, Faith. You come by your name aptly!
    I can't thank you enough for taking time for Ellie and Jack. I hope you enjoy Wren if you meet her in book 3, Love's Fortune.
    You've blessed my immensely with your heartfelt review!
    In Him,
    Laura Franrz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, heartfelt review. Thanks for taking time for my books and crafting such a memorable post here!
    In Him,
    Laura Frantz

    ReplyDelete