Thursday, September 12, 2013

*Made To Last*



Made to Last


I was so excited to be able to be a part of the "Tagg Team" for Melissa Tagg's debut novel Made to Last.   I was really eager to read this book, and so I counted down the days through August and into September until it came.... only to have my book be stolen away by my best friend and sister  the evening it arrived. She bounced up the stairs, book in hand and said "You have a perfectly delicious looking book here. I must read it." My sister's assessment says it all. 

At first I wanted to use "light-hearted" to describe this book, but then I realized that if I used only that adjective, it would give the impression that Made to Last stays on the surface level. It doesn't.
This story asks those big questions that we all have in our hearts: where does my true identity lie?
What do I do about the past? Why is love so complicated...and is that part of what makes it beautiful?

Miranda "Randi" Woodruff is a cool character. She's creative, she's dedicated, she's caring.
She's also in over her head with the publicity stunt that is supposed to save her show: reveal the husband that the world thinks she has, the husband who she would have had three years ago if the man had not walked out on her. Her first season aired full of references to that man, whom Miranda called "my husband." And wasn't the fact that Robbie had wanted to live like they were married proof that Robbie really intended to marry her? Then why did he leave?!

So on top of her broken heart, she now has to pile a sham marriage. 

And her fake husband? Well... lets put it this way: the guy's nickname is "Blaze" and he nearly lights himself {and Miranda, and her house} on fire several times. 
Oh yeah. We are talkin' laugh out loud funny. Yes, this is the first time I have used that ubiquitous acronym "LOL" in a book review.... but Made to Last deserves it!

Even Blake, though, has more to him than meets the eye at first. I'll let you discover what I'm talking about, but here's a hint: his character marries "thoughtfully serious" to "undoubtedly comic!" There is a part of me that wishes that Miranda had ended up with Mr. Do-You-Change-Your-Smoke-Detector-Batteries-Often?! :-)  


I have a feeling that Made to Last is about to become a lasting favorite! 




Melissa TaggMelissa Tagg is a former reporter turned author who loves all things funny and romancey. Her debut novel, a romantic comedy titled Made to Last, releases from Bethany House in September 2013, with a follow-up slated for summer 2014. In addition to her nonprofit day job, she is also the marketing/events coordinator for My Book Therapy, a craft and coaching community for writers founded by award-winning author Susan May Warren.


During her reporting days, Melissa interviewed presidential candidates and llama farmers, rode a hot air balloon and flew a plane, and once found herself face to face with a buffalo. But today she gets her kicks by letting her characters have their own fun. She's passionate about humor, grace and happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment