Tuesday, October 29, 2013

So I'm just a nice tasty Cheerio huh?


This is a quote from John Green, author of "The Fault in Our Stars."
My sister found this on Pinterest.


  "Do you think it matters how many people someone has slept with?
No. And it particularly bothers me that women are held to a different standard on this than men.
Also it's such a weird thing to care about. 
Like imagine if I started eating Cheerios for breakfast. Would Cheerios be like 'I'm the 48th cereal you've tried eating. I don't feel special!' 
Well then screw you, Cheerios. I can't go into the past and uneat all those cereals. But that doesn't mean I don't genuinely enjoy your whole grain crunch." 


After she read this to me, I sat in stunned silence for about half a second.

Then my sister nailed it when she said "What this ultimately does is reduce sex down to just fun. He likes the 'whole grain crunch.'"
That is the problem here. It is the reduction of sex down from the sacred to the cereal.
Except that cereal exists to be consumed, and girls do not.
And food is a basic need of life, and sex is not.
And Cheerios are healthy for you, and premarital, casual sex is not.
And that analogy sucks. It just does.

This analogy is equivalent to saying "It doesn't matter if I have two girlfriends at the same time, and am taking advantage of both of them sexually, and am not telling one about the other, because I can hold an Oreo cookie in my left hand and a vanilla ice cream cone in my right hand. I can take a bite of vanilla, and a bite of Oreo, and the Oreo never asks me if I'm snacking on anything else at the same time. It doesn't hurt Oreo that I'm getting my sugar high from two sources at once. "

Obviously, he's left aside the very real emotional, mental, physical, psychological {and dare I say spiritual}  affects of having multiple sexual partners while in one's youth.

The other thing he has done is to legitimize his sexual appetite and sexual escapades under the guise of freeing us women from shame.
He argues that we have a double standard when it comes to the genders and their sex lives.
Darn right we do. That's why in the fact-based novel Jubilee the plantation owner gave his teenage son a fourteen year old slave girl to abuse: He decided that his son was going to fornicate, and so he would give him a slave girl to use to prevent him from "messing up" any white girls.
If that doesn't make you nauseous, go have your head examined.
The son can sin with impunity and still go one to make a "fine match" with a wealthy white girl.
If the sex had been with a white girl however, she would have been branded for life.
To some extent, this is still true. Sex charged boys are that "Playas."
Promiscuous girls are that "Sluts."

But he isn't affirming that a broken sexual past doesn't determine your future.
He isn't offering the hope of restoration, cleansing, a new understanding of a fulfilling and wholseome sexuality.
He's attempting to raise up a new breed of shameless women, who don't feel stigmatized by the number of partners they've had.
By default, he's raising up partners for himself and men like him.
In essence: "It's unfair that if I have sex with you you receive a sentence of shame and I get off scot free as a red blooded man. Therefore, instead of ceasing my illicit sex, I'll convince you that we are both just having fun together: no shame, not strings, no one tallying up our conquests."

Of course, no Love, no exclusivity, no commitment either... but maybe he'll promise to have himself checked often for those little unpleasantries like venereal disease, and maybe he'll always bring the birth-control.

{It should be on him to bring it, because for him sexual is all about himself, about him enjoying that whole grain crunch, so to speak. It's about taking, not giving, to the point that if you care about sexual purity, then he says "Screw you."}

What a rip-off. What a joke. While a pile of horse manure.
And we're selling that to kids?
God help up!

And BTW, I'm not somebody's Cheerio, 48th or otherwise.
I'm worth far more than that.
I'm far more important than that.
And I'm far rarer than that.

I'm a human being, and my sexuality is sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment