Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Christmas Quilt

The Christmas Quilt


The Christmas Quilt brings you into the lives of two young Amish women, both soon to be mothers.
Annie and Leah were sisters in heart before they became sisters-in-law.
They've shared so many life experiences, it makes sense that they shared a wedding day and that their first children will be born within months of each other.

The only thing they don't seem to be sharing is a similarity in home life.
Annie's husband Samuel is attentive and caring, dealing well with the unfamiliar territory of having an expecting woman as his wife. He makes jokes that make her smile and offers to crawl behind the sewing machine to fetch her missing fabric.

Leah feels that her husband Adam is rejecting her in her new and difficult state of very-pregnant-and trying-to-cope, and he really seems unprepared for life with twin babies in the family.
Granted, he is young, and he has never been a father before, and nerves are natural, but Leah craves understanding that he can't give because he doesn't understand it all himself.
Of course, Adam thinks that nothing he does makes her happy anymore.

This book is a gentle reminder that whenever a wife is feeling misunderstood, her husband {if he's at all sentient} is most likely feeling the same thing and {if he's worth his salt} is wondering what he's doing wrong.

I have a feeling, from stories I've heard, that Leah and Annie's experiences with their pregnancies will draw sympathetic smiles and nods from any woman who has traveled that blessed and bumpy road before.

And all of  this is wrapped up in an Amish tale of close knit community, hearts aching and hearts healing, and a special quilt. The Christmas Quilt. The stories that flow remind them {paraphrasing a quote here} that every story, even those centered on Joy, have corners that are bittersweet.



Vannetta Chapman Headshot The first thing you need to know about me is that I write Fiction full of GRACE.  Every plot is different. The characters change. Some of my books are mysteries, others are novellas, and some are romances. But they all are stories of light, hope, and truth. Stories that at least for a moment touch the deepest places in our heart.
Tales that whisper hope. That speak of family and community. That remind us of God and His love.
What do I write? If I had to reduce it to four words, I suppose I’d say I write Fiction full of GRACE.
I live and teach in the Texas hill country with my husband, cats, and a rather large herd of deer. Our four children have flown the nest; however, we are fortunate that they all live close enough to visit.
I have always felt that my faith was at the very center of who and what I am, and I am thrilled beyond words to be able to now write about something that is so near to my heart. At various times I have served as a pianist, teacher, church secretary, and worship team member. While living in the Dallas area, I served as an adjunct professor of English Literature at Dallas Baptist University. When we moved to a small town in Central Texas, I continued teaching for a few years, but I now write full-time and I play the keyboard in our church’s praise band.



No comments:

Post a Comment