Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Blame it on the Mistletoe!


Blame It on the Mistletoe


"She said she'd help us get to the bottom of this. I'm beginning to think someone is poisoning us, or something, making us act all weird, maybe piping mind altering gas in the heating system, or putting drugs in our oatmeal."  ~ Agnes Sparrow, resident at the Greenbrier.

Introducing Mildred Blessing, Bright's Pond's one and only police officer {and therefore the chief of police.}
Mildred Blessing has a new case to investigate, and Mildred always gets her man.
This time her mystery is strange behavior by the old folks.

For example, Haddie Grace, resident of the Greenbrier nursing home was recently observed riding a red tricycle up and down the hallways, crashing into the medicine cart.

And, Faith, aged 90, and Clive, aged 86, also residents of the Greenbrier, who are suddenly in love and determined to marry. They're constantly sneaking off to the gazebo to re-enacting the scene in Sound of Music where Rolf and Leisl were dancing.

Could it be drug activity in the Greenbrier?!

And that's not Bright's Pond's only problem: Ruth Knickerbocker is determined to have a spectacular Thanksgiving, unlike anyone before her. It will be a Hawaiian Luau Thanksgiving: tiki torches in the living room, her turkey will wear a lei, and her stuffing will include passionfruit and macadamia nuts.
So what if the top popped off the blender while Ruth was making cranberry sauce and she ran down the road, covered in red, and one of her neighbors thought she had been shot!

Toss in Pastor Speedwell, and Boris Lender with his perpetual "stogie," and a guy named Studebaker.
How do you end up with such an interesting community?
Blame it on the Mistletoe.
Or on Leon Fontaine and his Fountain of Youth.
Or on the Full Moon Pie served down at the Full Moon Cafe.
Blame it on something.

And then add our narrator and her sister, Griselda and Agnes Sparrow.
Both of these sisters have their own story to tell, and their own personality that endeared them to me as I read. I hear that they each have a book in the Bright's Pond series too, which I plan to read.
Griselda explains her town in a tongue in cheek sort of way, she loves the people there and she loans us her eyes to see them with, making this a very fun read.

Bright's Pond and its people are quirky with a capital Q.

The humor, oh the humor! Have you ever read the Grandma Dowdel books?
{You should, by the way.}
The humor here is like the humor there.
I really did Laugh Out Loud, and this book is so quotable. I was interrupting my family's reading time every few minutes to share another line. Don't start reading this in a public library where snorting with laughter and reading aloud isn't wanted.
One of my favorite lines: "Nothing like a good old-fashioned false alarm fire drill to make people friends. Impending disaster was great for soothing old wounds."

See what I'm talking about?
Thank you Abingdon for my review copy. I hope to visit Bright's Pond again soon. :-)



Joyce MagninI am the author of seven novels. Five adult novels and two middle grade readers. I never wanted to do anything else but write and every day I wake up astonished that I get to do what I always dreamed about. My days are filled with words and images along with the usual family stuff. I have three children, Rebekah who is married to Joshua. They have three of the most adorable boys on the planet, Lemuel, Cedar and Soren. My daughter Emily Kate is a lovely young woman anthropologist and my son Adam is fourteen and a student--he's a genius who loves frogs and lizards and fish and plants. He amazes me.
I have never eaten a scallop. I love cream soda. Drink way too much coffee. I do not like elevators but I do enjoy needle arts and of course books. I prefer jazz over country (no offense), milk chocolate over dark, but not roller coasters although my life has often resembled a roller coaster ride.
One of my life's desires is to meet Amy Grant so I can tell her she saved my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment