Thursday, December 19, 2013

*Derailed*


Derailed



This book was so fun to read! The story of 'Derailed' was life and love affirming, and it dealt with a multitude of serious topics in a way that was neither peachy nor heavy. 

This is my first book by Dave and Neta. My sister read and reviewed book one in the Windy City Neighbor's series, which focused on a young Christian singer. She loved Grace Meredith's story so much that I knew I needed to try book two.. and when I found out that the protagonist in this volume was a Chicago detective, I dove right in. And I'm reviewing this installment in the series. ;) 

That was my favorite part of this story, the cop/mystery element. I really enjoy a good detective story, and although Harry Bentley was retired at the start of this book, and he thought police work was behind him, he didn't stay retired for long! Soon he was back in the thick of it, with a trusty K-9 named Corky by his side, a badge on his belt, and a SIG on his hip.... and I was there with him. 

As I was reading, I began to feel that Harry Bentley was familiar. And then I realized who he reminded me of! 
Remember the great Neal Washington, Chicago detective on Hill Street Blues in the 80's? 

/

Detective Washington is the only person I know of who can walk around perpetually chewing on a toothpick and still look competent. :) 

Harry reminds me so much of Neal, except about 15 years down the road and with a family. He even uses Neal's favorite expression, copacetic, which means everything is alright, and in good working order. 

The first time Harry said it I felt like I was right back on Hill Street with the undercovers and the blues. 
{I really enjoy that show, and I can recommend the first three seasons with a few select edits here and there. After that, I think it changed.} 

So you better believe I enjoyed this book! 

If you remember Neal, you probably remember his partner, J.D LaRue, who had a drinking problem in the first couple seasons. 
Watching J.D struggle, fall, and rise again made for some great episodes. When J.D was clean and sober he was a great cop with a funny personality, and when his life repeatedly went off the rails you wanted to see him redeemed. Apparently Harry had some of the same struggles that J.D did... alcoholism and broken relationships. 

When we meet Harry he is a new Christian, with a wonderful wife whom I would love to have as a neighbor and friend. Having some less that healed family dynamics myself, I really related to Harry and Estelle and the way they wanted to help and support and bless their family. 

I'm so glad I got the chance to visit with the Bentleys, to watch them make new friends and renew bonds with family, and to experience the warmth within their circle. 

Thank you Worthy for my copy of Derailed! :) 




Dave and Neta

As a husband/wife writing team, we are enthusiastic about books, kids, walking with God, gospel music, and each other! Together we are the authors or coauthors of over 120 books.  In addition to writing several books about Christian community, we have been privileged to coauthor numerous books with expert resource people on a variety of topics from racial reconciliation to medical ethics to ministry to kids in gangs.

2 comments:

  1. Faith, we got such a kick out of you making a comparison of Harry Bentley to the cop on Hill Street Blues!!! We take that as a real compliment--you "got" Harry!!! Thanks for the review. We hope you enjoy more of the series--and maybe some of the other series we write. (Go to www.daveneta.com.) BLESSINGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Dave & Neta Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, we got such a kick out of your comparison of Harry Bentley to the cop on Hill Street Blues!! We take that as a compliment--you "got" Harry! We hope you enjoy the rest of the WINDY CITY NEIGHBORS series--and if you'd like to see what else we've written, go to www.daveneta.com. BLESSINGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Dave & Neta Jackson

    ReplyDelete