Monday, December 30, 2013

*Rest Not in Peace*

Rest Not in Peace (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #6)

My Review: 
I was eager to try the Surgeon Chronicles, starting by accepting book six "Rest Not in Peace" from Kregel for review. I began reading this one, and as a mystery lover who tries to see disturbing visuals in light of the larger picture, I was still deeply disturbed by a scene that came out of nowhere shortly after the beginning. 
I wasn't able to finish this book because that scene turned my stomach, so I can't say anything more about it. 
What I can say is that if you are in the market for a mystery, you may not want to jump into this series in the middle, but if you have been following Hugh de Singleton all along, then this will probably be a good addition to your library. 

And if you *are* in the market for a mystery, then I highly, highly recommend another Kregel title, The Advent of Murder by Martha Ockley. I love that book. "Set in the crisp, cold days leading up to an English Christmas, and following the adventures of a perceptive police-woman turned vicar and her quirky parish full of people, the Advent of Murder is a delightful read." 



Volume Six in the Surgeon Chronicles.... 
Master Hugh is asked to provide a sleeping potion for Sir Henry Burley, a friend and guest of Lord Gilbert at Bampton Castle. Sir Henry, (with his wife, a daughter by a first wife, two knights, two squires, and assorted servants), has outstayed his welcome at Bampton Castle. The next morning after Master Hugh provides the potion, Sir Henry is found dead, eyes open, in his bed. Master Hugh, the target of the wife's wrath, is asked by Lord Gilbert to determine the cause of death ...

Amazon.com: Rest Not in Peace (The Chronicles of Hugh De Singleton, Surgeon)


These Questions and Answers are excerpted from a longer article on FamilyFiction.com, which you can find right here. 

HOW DOES YOUR FAITH INFLUENCE YOUR WRITING?
I want my fiction to be honest to time and place. I don't think fiction writers should lie about people or eras just to create a sale-able plot: think Dan Brown here.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN YOU WANTED TO BE AN AUTHOR?
Probably since I learned how to read. Really, I believe that all who enjoy reading secretly (or not so secretly) wish to try setting pen to paper—which, by the way, is how I write. No computer for me.

WHAT DO YOU MOST HOPE THAT READERS GET FROM READING YOUR WORK?
I hope they will learn something of life in 14th century England, the challenges and triumphs of people of that time, and will be able to escape to that world for a few enjoyable hours. Escaping for a few hours is all most modern people would want to do; we would not want to live there and then, I think. 

Mel Starr

Mel Starr was born and grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He graduated fromSpring Arbor High School in 1960, and Greenville College (Illinois) in 1964. He received an MA in history from Western Michigan University in 1970. He taught history in Michigan public schools for thirty-nine years, thirty-five of those inPortage, MI, where he retired in 2003 as chairman of the social studies department of Portage Northern High School.

Mel married Susan Brock in 1965, and they have two daughters; Amy (Kevin) Kwilinski, of Naperville, IL, and Jennifer (Jeremy) Reivitt, of Portage, MI. Mel and Susan have seven grandchildren. 






No comments:

Post a Comment