Monday, February 3, 2014

*The Vicar's Wife*

The Vicar's Wife


The Vicar's Wife was really a very good story. As I read, I could see the cold mists of an English Autumn and I could taste the chocolate pudding (which is not at all like an America pudding), and I could sense the tensions and feel the resolution in the characters.

As far as I know, I haven't got any British blood in my ancestry, but I sure enjoy the strong English flavor of some of Kregel's books.
My two favorite so far are The Advent of Murder by Martha Ockley and now The Vicar's Wife by Katharine Swartz. The first one was a mystery, of course, and this second one is too, in a different way.

The story of The Vicar's Wife is a story about our dreams, the ones we cherish and the ones we've just discovered and the ones we learn to let go.
This is a story about the way our plans change, and the many ways we fight those changes, and how we may just find ourselves in the process.
And The Vicar's Wife is a story about the mark we leave on the world once we're gone.

One sprawling, drafty old vicarage in the tiny village of Goswell. Over the past years, this place has been home to two specific ladies: Alice James and Jane Hatton.
Alice was an innocent new bride when she came here as the wife of the young Vicar.
All of life was ahead of Mr and Mrs David James, all of life in all its intensity.
Jane is a New Yorker, weaned on the rhythms of her city and accustomed to the grit. An over-grown English garden doesn't charm her, the smell and feel of the streets and the traffic and the buildings do.
Jane arrives at the vicarage with her husband and children, all of them needing a fresh start.

Though polar opposites life-style wise, and separated in time by decades, these two women have much in common.

And we get to hear both their stories together in this book.

Thank you Kregel for my review copy!



No comments:

Post a Comment