Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Table by The Window...

A Table by the Window: A Novel of Family Secrets and Heirloom Recipes


I was 3/4 of the way through this book before I realized that it didn't feel like a novel anymore. It felt like I was snooping on someone's real life. 
That's what makes A Table by the Window such an amazing story.

I got to see everything through Etta's eyes. 
Through her, I got to experience the (sometimes uncomfortable) embrace of the D'Alisa family.
I got to laugh at Nico and shake my head at Sophie, and realize that they all really do love each other fiercely. 
I got to dine at the D'Alisa table, experiencing epic cooking that marries consciousness of who you are with contemplation of what sustains you. 

Reading this book felt like eating delicious food. There are lots of friendships and familial relationships in this story, each one adding more layers and flavors. There's a delightful combination of French and Italian ethnicity, served up in a family that can bless you richly or drive you crazy!
This story is salted with some tears, because life is tough and there are losses that shake you to the core, and it's sweetened with a romance that is very memorable. 

Overall, A Table by the Window serves up a heartiness that leaves your soul full when you finish- but not so full that you don't crave a sequel! :) 
I really did adore this story. I already shared it with my Mom and sister! 


Thank you Waterbrook Multnomah for my review copy.




Hillary Manton Lodge I'm an author and multi-media artist, which basically means that I like to write and make stuff. My books center on normal people figuring out their lives and wrestling with faith in the Pacific Northwest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment