Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Daisies are Forever....


Daisies Are Forever


A few years ago I had the distinct pleasure of reading Margot Benary Isbert's The Ark. This book, written in the 1950's, let me into the daily life of a German family post WWII. I fell in love with each character this, and wanted to go live on Rowan farm. 
This engaging tale forced me to consider the lives of ordinary Germans when their country was torn up and their nationality marked them as the enemy. 

Liz Tolsma's Daisies are Forever has a similar premise, drawing us into the lives of ordinary German citizens who must deal with the ravages of war in the nation and the resulting violence in the cities. 

Gisela Cramer already fled once, leaving Berlin for East Prussia. Now she must leave her home with Opa and Cousin Ella, and bring her nieces Renate and Annalies to safety. In Gisela's mind, Berlin is safety. It's where she left Mutti and Vater, and it's where she wants to seek shelter.
She doesn't know what's waiting for her- on the journey or in Berlin. 
And it's beyond devastating. 

The ever-growing band of refugees will travel by bicycle, truck and train and on foot across frozen bogs. There will be danger on all sides- death from exposure, difficulty from food shortages, and attacks by the Russians. 

This story grows appropriately dark, as it contains images of the horror that history unfortunately records. 
And this novel is inspired by history. 
The personal accounts of Ruth Sabine Hildegard Lippert inspire the first half. The real-life counterpart of Gisela, this woman led a band of people away from the incoming Russians.
Part two comes from the recollections of the author's own aunt, who really did experience the bombing and destruction unleashed on Berlin. 

So be prepared to splice the two in your mind as you read: there is Gisela and her collection of desperate escapees, and there was real women who inspired her tale. 

Thank you Litfuse for my review copy. I'll be adding this my shelf next to Snow on the Tulips. 





My life is always a changing scene, full and busy with writing inspirational historical fiction and raising a family. I have been writing seriously for a number of years now, but have wanted to be an author since the fifth grade when my teacher wrote, "I hope to see you as a published authoress," in my autograph book. I was hooked.

My novella, "Under His Wings" was published in the best-selling anthology "A Log Cabin Christmas". Two short stories, "Simply His Mother" and "As American As They Come" were published in "Cup of Comfort for Adoptive Families". I'm proud to be represented by my wonderful agent, Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency.

When I'm not busy writing, I enjoy reading, especially historical romance. You can also find me working in my garden, walking my black lab, Kylie, camping with my family, kayaking or crocheting.

No comments:

Post a Comment