Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Home Behind the Sun.


Home Behind the Sun: Connect with God in the Brilliance of the Everyday


Here I go again. Attempting to review a book that was really, really good. I can't exactly describe what the book is about- basically the Glory of God and what that means for us earth dwelling humans. If that sounds narrow or difficult to understand, be assured that it isn't. Home Behind the Sun is not a stuffy book at all, even when it's sober. It's not heavy handed admonishments to worship the Lord more, it's a praise hymn that can be sung at any moment, and it's so moving that you can't help but join in. 

There's no way I will capture all the reasons why you should read it, but by the time I was halfway through, I was already plotting how to get it into the hands of as many friends as possible. I'm thinking that many beauty-focused artists, wordsmiths, and truth seekers will love this book.

You could have a dozen stimulating discussions based off what you'll read in Home Behind the Sun. The way the book is written prompts underlining, reading aloud, writing Rich Mullins lyrics in the margin, and saying Yes, those words capture that experience.  
Just for an attempt at showing the range of this book, here's a few chapter subtitles: True Christian Freedom is Found in the Willingness to Be Life Givers, On What's Needed to Endure the Seasons of Life, We are Brilliance Makers and Shadow Chasers. 

This is a theology book in the best way possible, a dialogue about communion with God that is, in the writing and the reading of it, communion itself.
There's even a section about that: looking at God or being in God, and how we need both. 

Thanks to chapter ten, Glorifying God in All We Do, I'm no longer sorry about my overuse of the word "delight." When I stand in a hot Walmart parking lot swaying to a beautiful song that a stranger has playing in his pickup truck, or when I soak in the light infused green of a summer morning, or when I encounter a great story or hug a dear person... those are occasions of Delight. Timothy and Jason define Delight as something that originates outside ourselves, and is deeper and truer than pleasure alone because Delight draws us into the beauty of Christ Himself. 

So consider this my whole-hearted endorsement of this book. I'm putting it on my shelf along with Dwight Longenecker's Romance of Religion, Eileen Mitson's The Innermost Room,  and N. D Wilson's Death by Living.  And thank you BookLook Bloggers for my review copy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment