Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Somebody Like You


Somebody Like You


Somebody like You is a novel about true love and the way it grows. It's a tale the dives into a family's past. 
It's the story of a woman with a choice ahead of her. And it reminds us of magic of tree houses. 

Fact: There's nothing casual about being the mirror twin of a woman's deceased husband. 

Stephen Ames spent his childhood years being defined as a twin instead of his own person.
It was only when he lost touch with his brother Sam that he found his confidence and role in life. And while he grieved the separation from his best buddy, he was glad to be his own person without the "and" on the end of his name. 

It was Sam's death that shocked Stephen, shook him up, and sent him back into the past. 
Of course, he couldn't access the past and find Sam alive again, but he could find Sam's widow and try to regain his brother through her memories. 
Call it regret. Call it unfinished business. Sam needs to find Mrs. Ames. 

Between her brothers and their constant coaching "No tears, keep up!" and her marriage to a military man, Haley Ames is used to taking care of business, often without a buddy to have her back. 
After a long day working at the gun range and a drive home contemplating Life Without Sam, she's not ready for unexpected company waiting at her door in the dark. 
Drawing her handgun on this stranger on her porch is all par for the course. 

Stephen and Haley. What can I say? A woman whose marriage ended before the love could really find it's footing, confronted with a man who's so much like her husband one moment and nothing at all like him the next. A man reaching for what had slipped away, and finding that so much new goodness came with it. 

This is quite a romance, the kind that grows naturally. Stephen really impressed me with the way he cared for Haley. He continued trying to help her, to lend a hand, to lend an ear, to devote some time, even when he got nothing in return. That's what makes me smile, seeing two people become friends, giving from the heart with nothing expected, and then suddenly become more. 

Somebody Like You belongs on my shelf right next to Catch a Falling Star. If you loved Kendall and Griffin and Ian, then you'll want to meet Stephen and Sam. This story has a more serious overtone because of themes of estrangement and widowhood, but both novels have depth that makes them memorable, and humor worked in neatly. 

**SPOILER** I have to say that my favorite scene in this story when was Stephen had a final conversation with his brother. That scene had me tearing up. It's beautiful. You'll know it when you read it. 

Thank you to the author and to Howard Books for my review copy!




God’s best is often found behind the doors marked “Never.”
So many times I approached life with with a virtual roll of yellow duct tape emblazoned with the word NEVER. Over and over again I sealed off certain opportunities.
I would never marry a doctor or anyone in the military.
I would never have children.
I would never write fiction.
And don’t you know God stripped off the duct tape and walked me through each of those NEVER doors?
Have you ever marked a door NEVER … only to discover his best waited where you said you’d never go?
Following God through that door doesn’t mean we’re on “easy street,”‘even though we’re where he wants us to be.
” Show me your ways, Lord,
teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.”
- Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)
There’s more to happily ever after than the fairy tales tell us. We’re living real life — and relationships are messy, even when you believe in God. Even when you anchor your life to his promises.
I live my life acknowledging these realities … And I weave these truths into the stories I write.


No comments:

Post a Comment