Tuesday, July 29, 2014

11 Questions from Miss Aizess....























Miss Aizess over at the Christian Book Review Blog has nominated me for the Liebster Award!
And oh, how that blessed my heart! Thank you Aizess!

(If you go here, you can read her own Liebster interview.) 

And she has chosen some very good questions for me to answer. So here goes!


1. What is your least favorite genre?
Straight-up romance that devolves into mere-chemistry-between-the-sexes.
Now, I LOVE a romance.... but it should include all the loves in it. Filial love, brotherly love, sisterly love, friendship love, God's love, lasting love, lost love, new love and true love. 
Not just attraction. 


2. What is your all time favorite book?
"I cannot pick a favorite child!"
Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring for all time, Ralph Moody series for childhood, 
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes for the Vietnam War, 
Deception, Dominion and Deadline for Randy Alcorn, and Linda J. White's Seeds of Evidence for FBI Agent awesomeness.
And aside from fiction, I love Ravi Zacharias Can Man live Without God? Kay Arthur As Silver Refined, C. S. Lewis anything, Ronald Rolheiser The Holy Longing, and Hugh Halter Flesh.
The last two are about participating in the Incarnation. Very good. 

3. What would be your ideal Christian fiction novel?
Something that deals with life as we know it. 
(Broken marriages, car wrecks, illness, crime, prison, indignity, shame, sadness, fidelity, the USMC, happiness, fun, good food, wet grass, blinding white clouds, and bird songs.) 
There should be a lot of common humanity and uncommon redemption, grace from God poured into human choices. 
Christianity should be shown as the source of all goodness, not just "nice behavior."

4. What is your favorite Christian artist/band or song?
I have a lot of memories associated with Third Day. Revelation, All the Heavens, I'm Ready... those are some of my favorites. 

5. Do you have a hobby (besides reading)? If so, what is it?
Is there anything else beyond reading? ;-)

6. What is the funniest/quirkiest thing you’ve ever done?
Well, I have no sense of direction. If I were allowed to navigate I would get people lost.
And I am horrible to zippers. I break zippers all over. My Mother tries to hide her favorite vest from me! :-) 

7. What Bible scripture has impacted your life the most?
That one in Phillipians where he says that Christ promises to bring his work in us to completion.
In other words, he ain't giving up on us. Not even when we give up- which I don't suggest you do, but if a I-can't-do-it moment comes along, Fear Not. As it says in East to West by Casting Crowns, "I'm not holding on to you but You're holding on to me." 
As Amy Grant sings, "He's gonna see you through, He'll never leave 'cause He loves you!" 
That is one huge comfort. 

8. What is your dream job?
Oooohhh.... small town cop, if the department was like the Sparta PD in In The Heat of the Night,
with Carroll O'Connor as the gentle, talk-to-him-about-anything Chief, and Lonnie and Louann and Dee and Bubba and Sweet as the fellow officers, and Virgil as the detective. 

9. How and when did you come to know the Lord Jesus in a deep and intimate way?

I've always known He was there, and the source of all peace and beauty and truth, because of my Mom and Dad and the stories they read me and the prayers they said. But I was about 15 and going through a very trying summer when I first met Him for myself in the pages of Scripture.
It was a floppy 1984 NIV given to me by an Aunt, and I drank it in like a thirsty man when a cool brook opened up in front of him. 

That summer/fall/winter was the beginning of my grown-up love affair with the Rebel Prophet and the Gentle Shepherd. Yet somehow I think I know Him more intimately now than then, because I'm leaving more of it to Him. I'm learning that all fear finds consolation in Him, and all desire has its fulfillment in Him, and everything else will be OK. 


10. What three adjectives would you use to describe yourself?
Nutty. I like being nutty. 
Ragamuffin. Thank you Brennan Manning for this term, we are beggars at the door of God's mercy who are shocked to discover that He calls us friends! 
Loved. That's the foundation of our identity.... and I have to go back to that a hundred times each day. "I'm scared of _______, but I Am Loved. My thoughts are crazy and they're not good, but I Am Loved. This dream for ______ is so far away, but I Am Loved. This person whom I depend on is feeling far away from me now, but I Am Loved whether they tell me so or not." 


11. What five things do you love/like the most?

Ooooohhhh, BooksMusicFoodWalksPeople. 
I love stories, and we find 'em in books. Enough said.
Music.... thank you Mom for your CD collection! Bob Seger *and* BeBe and CeCe Winans.
Food. My sister cooks. Last night I had this delicious blueberry bar she made. 
Walks. I like walking different places, and that's where we picked the blueberries.
People. They're not a thing, but they give me great joy. People- in all their frustrations and complexities, with all the hurt they give us, they bless us in a way nothing else can.
People bear the Image of God. Creation, as lovely as it is, is just his Handiwork.
We're his Image. 

Thank you Aizess! This was great! 

And because it is so beautiful, and because I love this saint and cannot wait to meet him in heaven, here is How Can I Keep from Singing? by Rich Mullins. 


No comments:

Post a Comment