Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Atlas Girl... A Memoir.

Atlas Girl: Finding Home in the Last Place I Thought to Look

Two months ago, I read Emily Wierenga's debut novel A Promise in Pieces. After finishing that intense and beautiful WWII Era story, I looked up her personal blog. When I read about her struggle with anorexia and her experience caring for her Mother who had brain cancer, I wished she would write her own story. Little did I know that she already had.
Atlas Girl is Emily Wierenga's memoir, and I am honored to be a Revell Reads Reviewer for it.

This book moved me the same way my favorite songs do.... parts of it were sad and parts were happy and as I read I reflected on what she was telling me about her own story and I thought about what my family stories had in common with hers and where they were different.

Emily writes in a way that lets us borrow her eyes and her heart for a moment. She can take one impression, one fundamental sight or spoken word and share a whole remembrance off of it.  She is clearly a noticer of life. I think all artists, poets, and authors must be. When they notice life, they are able to give it back to us and help us truly see it.

This story that she shared is definitely an offering, to the world and to the people and the God who loves Emily.  And because she was willing to give us her story, in turn she offers hope. Atlas Girl reminds us that it is OK to go away to try to find home.  It's OK to not know how to simply *be* loved, and it is possible to learn.  We humans wander,  and someday we will find the road waiting for us. And if you ever feel like you are disappearing, you're not crazy and you're not abandoned.... God always remains because He Loves You.

I've already passed my copy on to a teenage girl.

Thank you Revell publishers for my review copy.



Emily T. Wierenga

Emily T. Wierenga is an award-winning journalist, blogger, commissioned artist and columnist, as well as the author of five books including "Atlas Girl: Finding Home in the Last Place I Thought to Look" (Baker Books). She lives in Alberta, Canada with her husband and two sons. For more info, please visitwww.emilywierenga.com. Find her on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment