Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Hardest Peace.



The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard



I began reading this book the day Kara Tippetts and her husband Jason spoke on Focus on the Family.
The story Jason and Kara were telling- of their love and their family and living with Kara's Stage IV cancer- had both Jim and John in tears.

There are so many reasons why this book should be read.
Read it because Kara tells the truth about the good and the hard. She's honest about what frightens and what redeems.
Her story involves the harshness of chemo and the desolation of lonely radiation treatments, and her story encompasses dancing in the kitchen with her daughters and snuggling goodnight with her son.
It's a reminder that being human is a good, good thing- and it's a hard, hard thing.

Her book is (obviously) a reminder that our Time together is a gift. That each day is another gift for us to life in.

I'm hesitant to try to review this book, because Kara is real and beautiful, and her story flows out of that, and my understanding and attempts to explain what I read will be shallow. Let me put it this way, you need this book if you're facing hard right now, if your reality may not change and you need grace to carry on. She will introduce you to the One who gives that grace.

You also need this book because her words about marriage and family will not fail to inspire you. The tenderness and grace between this wife and husband and their four children has been refined in the fire.

She lets us into her own heart, starting as a little child. She begins by introducing us her her Grandma Elnora. "She loved big, instigated laughter, and was never afraid to get dirty," Kara tells us. Her Grandma had joy inside her that spilled over and poured into Kara every time she was near.
Kara wanted to be just like her, and when Kara met Jesus as a young adult, she recognized Him right away as her Grandma's superpower.
I think this was a perfect way to begin, with a woman who lived so fully, so good, that she blessed everyone around her, even though her story was so full of hard.

So I'm keeping my personal copy- with the notes in it- and I'm waiting for the right soul to give my extra copy too.
And we are praying for the Kara and her family.

Litfuse Publicity and David C. Cook Publishing sent me this book for review.


I am the blessed mama of four amazing children, and the wife of one excellent man. Our family has been carefully kept and loved by Jesus through some remarkably hard circumstances. We are currently planting a church in the northwest side of Colorado Springs. I spent the last year battling breast cancer with the help of family and our amazing community. It currently appears that I'm headed into another difficult battle. Join me as we seek to live faithfully in the midst of suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment