Monday, January 12, 2015

Gospel Formed~ J. A. Medders

Gospel Formed



Robert Farrar Capon once described the Gospel as  "two-hundred proof Grace– bottle after bottle of pure distillate of Scripture, one sip of which would convince anyone that God saves us single-handedly.... a flat announcement that the saved were home before they started. 
Grace has to be drunk straight: no water, no ice, and certainly no ginger ale..." 

This book is a whack upside the head and a kind hand on the shoulder all at once. It's a shout "Hey, over here!" and it's a whisper- "Look, here it is." 
And all of it points to that Gospel, the one that will make you drunk. 

"Go back to the Gospel - again. Not for conversion, but for comfort. Jesus' death and resurrection is a one time event, but we believe it more than once- we believe it and re-believe it every day."

Ok, so you're not a "Good Christian." 
You have a Good Christ, and that's all you need. 
Look at what He did and take it to heart. Place who He is at the core of who you are. 

Ok, so it is as bad as you think it is and they are out to get you. 
You have a Christ who shall never leave you nor forsake you, so the fear may come but it will not defeat you. 

Ok, so you fail yourself over and over. (Left on my own, I produce darkness and death inside.)  
Yet you and I have Life in Him, and it's the imperishable kind. The forever kind. 

The life-blood of soul health and the heartbeat of holiness is resolutely believing Truth over and over. 
No matter what we feel like, no matter what the world looks like. 

I may think I "got" the Gospel years ago, but what if the Gospel permeates my Every Day, soaking into me and dying me bright with its colors? 

"Do you want to go deep? Center your life on the Gospel by supergluing the glories of grace to your heart, head, and hands- daily. Recover the Gospel- have a personal Reformation by preaching to yourself." ~ J. A. Medders

To that end- preaching to myself- I think I'll be keeping this book close through 2015. 
Thank you Kregel Publishing for my review copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment