Thursday, February 26, 2015

#ThursdayThoughts Feb. 26th 2015


 



“You cannot conceive, nor can I, of the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God.” ~Graham Greene 



 February~ 
The Poet's Calendar, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I am lustration, and the sea is mine!
I wash the sands and headlands with my tide;
My brow is crowned with branches of the pine;
Before my chariot wheels the fishes glide.
By me all things unclean are purified;
By me the souls of men washed white again;
E'en the unlovely tombs of those who died
Without a dirge, I cleanse from every stain.  



“The strength of patience hangs on our capacity to believe that God is up to something good for us in all our delays and detours.”  ― John Piper, Battling Unbelief: Defeating Sin with Superior Pleasure // Read more at http://www.desiringgod.org/books/battling-unbelief




"But in all things- and threatened by all things- we see the glory of God 
and are effectively and finally comforted in all of these threats. 
And this state of being comforted by the glory of God is true contentment. 
For this is the very glory of God: that God does not keep the fullness of his divine being for himself, but communicates and demonstrates that he wants to find his own contentment 
in being our Shepherd. 
When that is seen and heard, the answer can only be: 'I shall not want!'
Any want could only consist in our closing ourselves off from the glory of God and thus in our resistance to the shepherding of God.  For the glory of God is the love of God. 
Why is it that here we are resistant and rebellious? 
As certainly as the Lord is my shepherd, I shall want for nothing, and that means that I have no need to be resistant and rebellious. " 
~Karl Barth, in the delightful little book Insights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment