Friday, June 26, 2015

Weak, yet Strong in Christ.

Stronger: How Hard Times Reveal God's Greatest Power




All right, I'll admit it. I judged this book by it's cover. I figured it was another "Rah, rah, rah" book about staying strong in life, probably filled with sports analogies to hammer the points home. Needless to say, I wasn't too eager to read any of that. 

I'm so glad that I requested this book to review anyway. It's a thoughtful, personal, Christ-focused revelation of Clayton King's own life and loss and love. Only after he bares his heart does he ask us to tip our own chins up and look for God's ways in our individual hard times. 

Each chapter speaks of a different way that God may come to us during those hard times. He speaks of Presence, Testimony, Brokenness, Humility, Regret, Worship, Vulnerability, Understanding, and Glory. As you can see, he doesn't shy away from the difficult things, and he doesn't promise ease or even answers. Instead, he sets the hard things in the context of your life as a whole, a life lived in Christ for Christ and by the strength of Christ.

And that is why, despite the fact that hard times make us feel so weak and frightened, we can rest assured that God is stronger, and His strength is working mightily in us. 

I'm adding this book to my Short List for Young Christians. It would join "Flesh" by Hugh Halter, "Look and Live" by Matt Papa, "Simply Open" by Greg Paul, "Life with a Capital L" by Matt Heard, and "Home Behind the Sun" by Tim Willard and Jason Locy. I thank Baker Publishing for providing me with a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment