Monday, August 17, 2015

"Christ in You"


Christ in You: Why God Trusts You More Than You Trust Yourself



Sometimes, I don't feel up to the challenges of life. 
My strength seems insufficient, my efforts inefficient, and my level of hope is deficient. 
In short, I feel desperate. I think that I "need" things that I don't have. 

As Eric Johnson says, "It is tough to experience the vastness of the Kingdom when we are desperate. When we act desperate for the things we already have access to, we are choosing to live in a state of unbelief."  

Eric Johnson has one core message in this book, and the title makes it rather clear: Christ in you. 
The hope of glory, yes, and the source of whatever we need to live well today. Our job is to realize that our desperation can be hunger- hunger for the nourishment found in Christ. "Hunger is based on an awareness of abundance," says Eric. And Christ is our abundance. 

That's the point of this book. And Eric makes it well, telling stories and exploring Scripture. Yes, he is a Charismatic. He wants to keep his eyes peeled for all the works of God that are actively happening in the world. He believes that there is no end to the fullness of God, and he believes that God delights in caring for us, and providing for us, out of that fullness. 

This is a short and valuable read. After all, what is it that makes Christianity distinct from every other attempt at religion? 
Christ in us. 

I thank Chosen books for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment