Thursday, August 6, 2015

Wild in the Hollow~


Wild in the Hollow: On Chasing Desire and Finding the Broken Way Home



I can read most books- even really good ones- without becoming viscerally involved in the reading experience. I can enjoy them, pick up wisdom from them, highlight and underline, and then place them on my keeper shelf, all without feeling like my chest is being cut open. 

Not so this book: "Wild in the Hollow," by Amber Haines. As I read the words of her story, my own wondering and wanting and worshipping was all brought to mind, and I had to stop reading and remind myself to breathe. I eventually took this book and went outside, and read in the green light of a summer dusk with the crickets calling. This was a book that, for me, begged to be read in nature. 

A word fitly spoken is magic and mystery. It is a gift to write that word and send it out to the world. 
I had Amber's words, sliding into my heart, slicing through me, resonating with what I know about being human. I had her story, lived somewhere else and begun a while before mine, reaching me here in my particular place. 

I could point to some of the many themes that come through Amber's story:
The God who gets low and who loves first and last and always.... 
The way we humans are small, and that smallness is poverty of spirit, richness in God... 
The times you're so aware of God that it feels like you're walking in "clumsy prayer"...
The recognition of goodness and glory all around. 

Ultimately, as I read, I heard Amber inviting me to listen: The Spirit and the Bride say "Come!" and the Kingdom is at hand. 

Do yourself a favor and make time to read this book. 

Thank you to Revell Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment