Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Stephanie Rische's new book.....



I Was Blind (Dating), But Now I See: My Misadventures in Dating, Waiting, and Stumbling into Love


A true-life story, told with an eye for irony and a finely honed sense of humor will always appeal to me. And Stephanie has a lot of those stories in this book, which could be called "Close Encounters of the Dating Kind." It's not another how-to-be-single manual, and it isn't even mostly stories about her blindingly bad dates. Instead, it's largely thoughtful reflections on what it means to have a real, satisfying relationship with God- when you're happy and want to share it, when you're in need of protection, when you have dreams and you're unsure if it's time to take the ax to them.

The frame of the book is eight blind dates, dates with guys whose identity must be protected by invented monikers such as "The Professor," "The Linebacker," and "Mr. Very." These evenings-gone-wrong put Stephanie through all the single person questions- Am I invisible? Or just plain all wrong? And what do I do about it? Is there a firecracker I could drop into God's ear, to let him know I'm serious about this singleness thing? He was the one who decided it "wasn't good for man to be alone" anyway!

The whole time she's being serious, she's not taking herself too serious. If you're looking for a book on life, and Jesus, and community, written by a struggling single since happily married, then stop right here, you've found it.

If you're looking for a book on life, community, and Jesus, but written by someone who's (as far as I know) still single and still writing from those particular trenches, then try Kate Hurley's "Cupid is a Procrastinator."

Heck, try both books.

I thank Tyndale Momentum for providing me a review copy in exchange for an honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment